Story

Monday, March 15, 2010

Armchair environmentalist

So I have been having an ongoing rant with a guy that I work with about climate change. Normally I am a pretty passive person and don't get into philosophical topics such as this, but one thing has been bugging me. Before we go further I just want to say that I am a firm believer in climate change and I am trying to change my life so I can make a difference. For instance, I chose a car insurance that will offset the carbon it makes for a certain number of kilometres per year, When I can I wear bio degradable diaper inserts and I am a firm believer in using cloth diapers and plastic pants ( not just for the environmental benefits :D ) these are just a few things that I do everyday to help make a difference, even if its is small. My colleague who I call an arm chair environmentalist is continually going on about climate change and how it's going to destroy everything, but will not change his lifestyle to make a difference. On top of that, he is almost a climate change alarmist, wildly making huge statements that the world will "implode because the mass of the earth is changing" or something stupid like that. For once I would love to find out where he gets these wild ideas from, I can only assume its in the "huger number of blogs and newspaper articles that I read everyday". I love the fact that people believe what mainstream media prints and that someone so "dedicated to the cause" would not bother to educate himself with proper scientific journals so he can learn about how climate change will really effect us and what he can do to help fight it.

In saying that, I love the guy to death and he is a great friend. I guess if you can have a sustained argument over a period of days and still be talking and joking round the friendship is in pretty safe hands :-)

Anyway, I have just order a new "concealer shirt" from Babykins (or an onesie for all you AB's) and a couple of pairs of basic plastic pants from B4ns. Nothing cool unfortunately, but I have been needing some new work attire for a while and I was bored. At the moment I cant get enough of suprima plastic pants, I think it's mostly the range that makes them so appealing, what is everyone else using?

No comments:

Post a Comment